Jpop Recommend #244 Manatsu no tooriame by Hikaru Utada

真夏の通り雨 Matsu no tooriame 

宇多田 ヒカル Hikaru Utada



Released in April 2006, this song her 5th single sold solely online.  It is said that she made this song thinking about her deceased mother.  Her mother was also a very famous singer.  The melody is so sad and depressing but I need to hear it once in a while to calm down.  Strangely, it has a soothing effect.










Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!

Lyrics
Japanese
Japanese pronunciation
English translation

夢       の    途中     で   目   を   覚まし
Yume no tochuu de me wo samashi
In the middle of a dream I woke up
瞼            閉じても   戻れない
mabuta tojitemo modorenai
I can't go back even if I close my eyes
さっき まで     鮮明    だった  世界 
sakki made senmei datta sekai 
to the world so vivid a while ago
もう      幻
mou maboroshi
It's gone like an illusion 


汗    ばんだ   私           を そっと 抱き 寄せて

ase-banda watashi wo sotto daki-yosete
I got a bit sweaty and you braced me softly 
たくさん の    初めて    を     深く     刻んだ
takusan no hajimete wo fukaku kizanda
and many first were engraved in me deeply


揺れる   若葉      に  手 を    伸ばし

yureru wakaba ni te wo nobashi
Stretching out my hand to swaying young leaves
あなた に 思い   馳せる    時
anata ni omoi haseru toki
I think of you
いつ に  なったら  悲しく        なく   なる
itsu ni nattara   kanashiku naku naru 
When will the sadness leave me?
教えて   ほしい
oshiete hoshii
Please tell me


今日          私    は   一人   じゃ ない し

kyou watashi wa hitori jya  nai shi
Today I'm not alone and 
それ   なり に      幸せ    で
sore nari ni shiawase de
I'm happy in my own way
これ  で  いい んだ と  言い 聞かせてる けど
kore de   ii   nda to   ii-kikaseteru kedo
I keep telling myself this is the way it should be, but


勝てぬ     戦     に 息  切らし

katenu ikusa ni iki kirashi
Gasping in a war that I can't win
あなた に 身 を   焦がした    日々
anata ni mi wo kogashita hibi
Those days I longed for you
忘れちゃっ  たら     私         じゃ なく なる
wasurecha ttara watashi jya naku naru
If I forget them, that won't be me anymore
教えて 正しい     サヨナラ   の    仕方     を
oshiete tadashii sayonara no shikata wo
Please tell me the right way to say goodbye


誰か     に  手 を    伸ばし

dareka ni te wo nobashi
Stretching out my hand to someone else
あなた に 思い   馳せる    時
anata ni omoi haseru toki
I think of you
今    あなた に 聞きたい こと が いっぱい
ima anata ni kikitai   koto ga ippai
Now I have so many things I want to ask you
溢れて 溢れて
afurete afurete
one after another, one after another


木々 が  芽    吹く 月日       巡る

kigi ga me-buku tsukihi meguru
Trees are beginning to bud and the season comes around
変わらない  気持ち    を   伝えたい
kawaranai kimochi wo tsutaetai
I want to tell you my unchanged feeling
自由   に なる   自由   が  ある
jiyuu ni naru jiyuu ga aru
There is a freedom to be free
立ち    尽くす 見送り    びと  の   影
tachi-tsukusu miokuri-bito no kage
The shadows of people standing still to bid farewell
思い出    たち  が  ふい に   私           を
omoide tachi ga fui   ni watashi wo
Memories suddenly 
乱暴      に   掴んで       離さない
ranbou ni tsukande hanasanai
grab me roughly and won't let me go
愛してます   尚    も   深く
aishitemasu nao mo fukaku
I love you, all the more, deeply
降り 止まぬ   真夏        の   通り   雨
furi-yamanu manatsu no toori-ame
Sudden shower in midsummer keeps falling


夢       の    途中     で   目   を   覚まし

Yume no tochuu de me wo samashi
In the middle of a dream I woke up
瞼            閉じても   戻れない
mabuta tojitemo modorenai
I can't go back even if I close my eyes
さっき まで  あなた が  いた 未来
sakki made anata ga ita mirai
to the future with you a while ago
たずねて 明日    へ
tazunete  ashita e
It will lead me to tomorrow
ずっと 止まない   止まない 雨    に
zutto yamanai yamanai ame ni
the rain that does not stop falling and 
ずっと 癒えない 癒えない  渇き
zutto  ienai      ienai     kawaki
the thirst that is so hard to be healed






Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!

Comments