Jpop Recommend #246 Shimanchu nu takara by Begin

島人ぬ宝 Shimanchu nu takara 

ビギン Begin


Released in May 2002, this song is the trio's 23rd single.  Coming from Ishigaki Island, Okinawa, this trio introduced many great Okinawa's traditional tune mixed with modern music.  This is one of those songs that became very popular all over Japan.


Instead of guitar, the lead vocal uses the instrument called "三線 sanshin", a traditional Okinawa instrument.   The tune is unique and yet it sounds somewhat nostalgic to my ears.



Live version





Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!



Lyrics
Japanese
Japanese pronunciation
English translation

僕      が   生まれた   この     島    の     空    を
Boku ga umareta kono shima no sora wo 
The sky of this island where I was born
僕      は    どれ くらい 知ってるん だろう
boku wa dore kurai shitterun    darou
How much do I know? I wonder
輝く             星      も    流れる       雲       も
kagayaku hoshi mo nagareru kumo mo 
Shining stars and floating clouds
名前       を   聞かれても   わからない
namae wo kikaretemo wakaranai 
I don't even know what it is called


でも     誰    より    誰   より も   知っている

demo dare yori dare yori mo shitteiru
But more than anyone, I know this more than anyone else
悲しい  時    も    嬉しい  時    も
kashii toki mo ureshii toki mo
that whenver I feel sad or happy
何度    も     見上げて いた この 空     を
nando mo miagete  ita  kono sora wo 
the sky I looked up so many times


教科書          に   書いて ある 事     だけ じゃ わからない

kykoukasho ni kaite   aru koto dake jya wakaranai 
Nothing in the text book can teach
大切        な   物       が  きっと ここ に ある はず さ
taisetsu na mono ga kitto koko ni aru hazu sa
there must be something precious in here
それ  が   島人             ぬ   宝
sore ga shimanchu nu takara
That is the treasure of islander


僕       が  生まれた   この       島  の     海   を

boku ga umareta kono shima no umi wo 
The ocean of this island where I was born
僕       は  どれ  くらい 知ってるん だろう
boku wa dore kurai   shitterun darou
How much do I know? I wodner
汚れてく       サンゴ   も  減って  いく   魚         も
yogoreteku sango mo hette  iku   sakana mo 
Polluted corals and decreasing fish
どう したら いい のか    わからない
dou  shitara ii   noka wakaranai 
I don't know what to do


でも     誰    より    誰  より  も   知って いる

demo dare yori dare yori mo shitte iru
But more than anyone, I know this more than anyone
砂      に  まみれて     波    に  ゆられて
suna ni mamirete nami ni yurarete
Mixed with sand and swayed by wave
少し       ずつ     変 わって ゆく この    海    を
sukoshi zutsu kawatte yuku kono umi wo
ever-changing this ocean


テレビ        では     映せない  ラジオ  でも    流せない

terebi(TV) dewa utsusenai radio demo nagasenai
No TV or radio can show
大切        な    物     が   きっと ここ  に  ある はず さ
taisetsu na mono ga kitto   koko ni aru hazu sa
there must be something precious in here
それ  が    島人            ぬ     宝
sore ga shimanchu nu takara
That is the treasure of islander


僕      が   生まれた  この     島      の   唄   を

boku ga umareta kono shima no uta wo
The song of this island where I was born
僕      は  どれ  くらい 知ってるん だろう
boku wa dore kurai shitterun darou
How much do I know? I wonder
トゥバラーマ   も   デンサー 節      も
Tubaraama   mo densaa-bushi mo 
"Tubaraama" or "densa-bushi"
言葉     の   意味 さえ わからない
kotoba no imi sae wakaranai 
I don't even know the meaning of those words


でも      誰   より   誰     よりも    知っている

demo dare yori dare yorimo  shitteiru
But more than anyone, I know this more than anyone
祝い  の   夜     も   祭り        の   朝   も
iwai no yoru mo matsuri no asa mo 
At the night of celebration and in the morning of the festival
何処  から  か  聞こえて くる   こ の  唄   を
doko kara ka kikoete kuru kono uta wo
this song I heard from somewhere


いつ の 日 か  この      島     を    離れてく       その  日  まで

itsu no hi ka kono shima wo hanareteku sono hi made
Until the day I leave this island 
大切        な   物      を  もっと   深く    知って いたい
taisetsu na mono wo motto fukaku shitte itai
I want to know more deeply about those precious things
それ  が      島人          ぬ    宝
sore ga shimanchu nu takara
That the treasure of islander



Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!

Comments