Jpop Recommend #310 Shujinko by Masashi Sada

主人公 Shujinko

さだ まさし Masashi Sada



Released in 1978, this is originally recorded as one of the songs in the album, "私花集, Anthology".  It was later released as a single song covered by himself.  This song has been one of the most popular songs among his fans.  


The lyrics reminds me of the famous poem by William Ernest Henley, Invictus, but of course in much softer tone...

He is a great story teller.  You can depict the scene as if you are reading a story.

He has a long career as a singer-song-writer.  You can find many of his songs in youtube.
Live version



Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!




Japanese
Japanese pronunciation
English translation

時    には 思い出 ゆき の 旅行案内(ガイドブック)に まかせ 
toki niwa omoide yuki no guidebook                   ni  makase
Sometimes I let the guidebook to lead me to memories
「あの 頃」 と いう 名 の  駅  で 降りて「昔         通り」を    歩く 
"ano koro" to iu   na no eki de orite "mukashi-doori" wo aruku
I get off at the station called "that time" and take a stroll in "old-time street"
いつも  の  茶店(テラス)には まだ   時    の  名残   が    少し
itsumo no terrace         niwa  mada toki no nagori ga sukoshi 
In the familiar terrace cafe, there still remains a bit of that time
地下鉄(メトロ)の 駅  の    前   に は  「62                   番」 の  バス 
metro              no eki no mae ni wa "62(rokujyuu-ni)-ban" no bus
In front of the metro station, the bus for #62 route was there
鈴懸(プラタナス)並木    の  古い   広場    と 学生     だらけ  の   街 
plananus             namiki no furui hiroba to gakusei darake no machi
Old square with a row of plane trees and streets crowded with students 
そう いえば あなた の  服     の  模様    さえ 覚えてる 
sou   ieba     anata no fuku no moyou sae oboeteru
Which reminds me even the design pattern of your cloths back then


あなた の  眩しい     笑顔  と 友達        の   笑い  声   に 
anata no mabushii egao to tomodachi no warai-goe ni
Your shining smile and laughter of friends
抱かれて    私        は  いつ でも 必ず        きらめいて いた 
dakarete watashi wa itsu demo kanarazu kirameite ita
I was always embraced by those and my days were shining brightly


「或いは」「もしも」  だなんて あなた は 嫌った    けど 

"aruiwa" "moshimo" danante    anata wa kiratta kedo
To think about "or else" "what if", you hated
時    を   遡る          切符(チケット)が あれば 欲しく なる  時    が ある 
toki wo sakanoboru ticket             ga areba hoshiku naru toki ga aru
But if there is a ticket to go back time, you would need it sometimes
あそこ の  別れ         道   で 選び なおせる ならって…… 
asoko no wakare-michi de erabi-naoseru naratte
thinking if I can choose again in that intersection 


勿論         今 の   私         を 悲しむ         つもり は  ない 
mochiron ima no watashi wo kanashimu tsumori wa nai
Of course I don't intend to grieve for what I am now
確か      に 自分 で   選んだ  以上 精一杯  生きる 
tashika ni jibun de eranda ijyou seiippai ikiru
I've chosen it by myself, so I should live my life to the fullest
そう でなきゃ あなた に とても とても  はずかしい  から 
sou denakya   anata ni totemo totemo hazukashii kara
If not, I will feel ashamed of myself before you
あなた  は 教えて くれた 小さな       物語       でも 
anata wa oshiete kureta chiisana monogatari demo
You taught me even just a small story
自分  の  人生   の   中     では 誰    も   みな    主人公 
Jibun no jinsei no naka dewa dare mo mina shujinkou
If that is your life, every one is the leading actor of that story
時折     思い出  の    中    で あなた は   支えて  ください 
tokiori omoide no naka de anata wa sasaete kudasai
From time to time in memories, please give me strength
私         の   人生  の   中    では    私      が   主人公      だ と 
watashi no jinsei no naka dewa watashi ga shujinkou da to
by reminding me that in my life, I'm the lead role





Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!


Comments