Jpop Recommend #359 Ruby no yubiwa by Akira Terao

ルビーの指環 Ruby no yubiwa

寺尾 聰 Akira Terao 



Released in February 1981, this song is his 6th single. 
He is known as an actor and you can watch him in the movies, "博士の愛した数式 (The Housekeeper and the Professor)", or "雨あがる(After the rain)".
 
This song is his best-selling single and it had stayed in the top chart for a long time almost 40 years ago.  At that time, I was just a child so I couldn't appreciate the charm of this song but now bitter-sweet lyrics and melody touch my heart.





Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!



Japanese
Japanese pronunciation
English translation

くもり     硝子     の   向う     は    風    の   街 
kumori-garasu no mukou wa kaze no machi
Over the frosted-glass window, there is a windy city
問わず     語り   の    心        が   切ない    ね 
towazu-gatari no kokoro ga setsunai ne
It breaks my heart when I tell to myself
枯葉       ひとつ  の    重さ     も  ない  命 
kareha hitotsu no omosa mo nai inochi
My life is worth less than the weight of this single fallen leaf
貴女     を   失って      から……… 
anata wo ushinatte kara
after I lost you
 

背中      を     丸め       ながら 
senaka wo marume nagara
With your back hunched
指     の リング 抜き 取った ね 
yubi no ring   nuki-totta ne
you took the ring off of your finger
俺   に  返す     つもり    ならば 
ore ni kaesu tsumori naraba
If you're gonna give it back to me
捨てて  くれ 
sutete kure
please throw it away


そうね 誕生       石    なら  ルビー なの 
soune tanjyou-seki nara ruby nano
Yes, my birthstone is ruby
そんな  言葉      が   頭      に   渦     巻く  よ 
sonna kotoba ga atama ni uzu-maku yo
Such words echo in my head
あれは     八月         目映い   陽   の  中    で 
arewa hachigatsu mabayui hi no naka de
That was in August under bright sunshine
誓った    愛  の        幻 
chikatta ai no maboroshi
the mirage of love we promised



孤独       が   好きな   俺  さ 
kodoku ga sukina ore sa
I love the loneliness
気 に しないで 行って いいよ 
ki ni shinaide itte     iiyo
so you can go  You don't need to care for me
気 が  変わらぬ     うち に   早く 
ki ga kawaranu uchi ni hayaku
Quickly before I change my mind
消えて くれ 
kiete kure
Just go away


くもり      硝子    の  向う     は     風    の    街 
kumori-garasu no mukou wa kaze no machi
Over the frosted-glass window, there is a windy city
さめた     紅茶     が   残った  テーブル で 
sameta koucha ga nokotta table    de
on a table a cup of tea that was turned cold
襟   を  合わせて 日暮れ の   人波         に 
eri wo awasete higure no hitonami ni
Pulling the collar tightly during sunset among the middle of the crowd
紛れる        貴女   を  見てた 
magireru anata wo miteta
I saw you blended in


そして    二年   の    月日    が   流れ     去り 
soshite ninen no tsukihi ga nagare-sari
And two years have passed
街       で  ベージュ の  コート を    見かける  と 
machi de beige   no   coat  wo mikakeru to 
When I see someone in beige coat on the street
指     に ルビー の  リング を  探す       の  さ 
yubi ni ruby   no  ring  wo sagasu no sa
I look for a ruby ring on her finger
貴女     を   失って       から
anata wo ushinatte kara
After I lost you







Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!

Comments