Jpop Recommend #362 Gunjyo by YOASOBI

 

群青 Gunjyo

YOASOBI 



Released in September 2020, this song is their 5th single.   "Gunjyo" is a name of a color which means deep blue mixed with faint purple tone.  In English, it is normally translated as "ultramarine". 

This song was created as a collaborative work with Japanese comic, "Blue Period" and chocolate snack "Alfort" CM.  "Blue Period" is a story about a high school student who is trying to enter Art university to pursue his dream to become a painter.  The lyrics match the comic's content and this CM is really worth watching.

In Japanese, the period of youth (especially while you are in school) is called "青春" which literally means Blue Spring.  "青い” also means immaturity, such as "このリンゴはまだ青い" (This apple is not ripe yet).  So in Japanese the word "blue" matches the image of being young, immature, fresh and so on.

This song is about finding your dream and challenging to achieve it even though it requires courage to pursue.




CM version





Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!



Japanese
Japanese pronunciation
English translation

嗚呼、いつも  の  様  に
Ah     itsumo no you ni
Ah same old
過ぎる 日々 に あくび が 出る
sugiru hibi  ni akubi ga deru
ordinary days make me yawn
さんざめく    夜、 越え、今日  も
sanzameku yoru koe    kyou mo
Party night is over and once again
渋谷      の    街     に  朝  が  降る
shibuya no machi ni asa ga furu
morning comes today in the town of Shibuya
どこか     虚しい   ような
dokoka munashii youna
Somewhat empty and vain
そんな  気持ち
sonna kimochi 
I felt such feeling
つまらない  な
tsumaranai na
It is boring
でも    それ  で いい
demo sore  de  ii
But then again that's OK
そんな もん さ
sonna mon sa
That's how it is
これ で  いい
kore de  ii
I like it this way



知らず   知らず    隠してた
shirazu shirazu kakushiteta
Without realizing I hid it
本当     の   声  を   響かせて  よ、ほら
hontou no koe wo hibikasete yo hora
Let me hear your true voice, say
見ない フリ して  いて も
minai  furi   shite ite mo
Even though we try not to look at it
確か     に そこ に ある
tashika ni soko ni aru
It's there for sure



感じた まま     に  描く
kanjita mama ni egaku
Draw as I feel
自分  で   選んだ  その  色 で
jibun de eranda sono iro de
with the color I picked
眠い    空気     纏う    朝  に
nemui kuuiki matou asa ni 
On a morning still in sleepy mood 
訪れた     青い 世界
otozureta aoi sekai
came the blue world
好きな  もの   を   好き だ と 言う
sukina mono wo suki da to iu
Saying I like what I like
怖くて       仕方ない    けど
kowakute shikantanai kedo 
I'm dead scared to do so, but
本当    の   自分
hontou no jibun 
my true self
出会えた 気  が したん だ
deaeta    ki ga shitan da 
I felt like finally I was able to find it




嗚呼、手 を   伸ばせば   伸ばす   ほど  に
Ah      te wo nobaseba nobasu hodo ni 
Ah as I try to reach out
遠く   へ  ゆく
tooku e yuku
it gets away from me
思う   ように いかない、今日 も
omou youni ikanai       kyou mo 
Nothing goes as I wish    today again
た  慌ただしく      もがいてる
mata awatadashiku mogaiteru
Feeling restless again, I struggle
悔しい    気持ち    も
kuyashii kimochi mo 
I also felt frustrated
ただ   情けなくて
tada nasakenakute 
and disappointed in myself
涙         が  出る
namida ga deru 
Tears well up in my eyes
踏み  込む   ほど
fumi-komu hodo
As I try to move forward
苦しく      なる
kurushiku naru 
it gets more difficult
痛く  も   なる
itaku mo naru 
and painful



感じた   まま   に   進む
kanjita mama ni susumu
I move forward as I feel like it
自分  で   選んだ  この   道    を
Jibun de eranda kono michi wo 
this road I picked myself
重い   まぶた   擦る      夜  に
omoi mabuta kosuru yoru ni 
On the nights when I rubbed my sleepy eyes
しがみついた    青い 誓い
shigamitsuita  aoi   chikai
I held onto this blue promise
好きな  こと  を  続ける     こと
sukina koto wo tsuzukeru koto
Pursing what I like
それ  は「楽しい」だけ じゃない
sore wa tanoshii dake jyanai 
That will give me not only "fun" moments
本当     に できる?
hontou ni dekiru?
Can I really do it?
不安  に なる けど
fuan ni naru kedo
Sometime I doubt myself




何枚     でも
nanmai demo 
As many sheets as I can 
ほら   何枚     でも
hora nanmai demo
See, as many papers as I can 
自信   が ない から
Jishin ga nai kara
beacause I don't have a confidence in myself
描いて  きたんだ よ
egaite kitanda   yo
I try to paint
何回     でも
nankai demo 
As many sheets as I can 
ほら   何回   でも
hora nankai demo
See, as many times as I can 
積み  上げて  きた こと が  武器 に なる
tsumi-agete kita koto ga buki ni naru
what I piled up to do becomes my weapon
周り     を  見たって
mawari wo mitatte
Whenever I look around
誰   と   比べたって
dare to kurabetatte
Whenever I compared to others
僕    に しか できない  こと は  なんだ
boku ni shika dekinai koto wa nanda
What is it that only I can do?
今    でも  自信  なんか  ない
ima demo jishin nanka nai
I still don't have a confidene
それ でも
sore demo
But




感じた  こと ない 気持ち
kanjita koto nai kimochi 
The feeling I've never experienced
知らず  に いた 想い
shirazu ni ita   omoi
The desire I hadn't noticed
あの 日 踏み  出して
ano hi fumi-dashite
On that day I stepped forward
初めて    感じた  この   痛み  も    全部
hajimete kanjita kono itami mo zenbu 
The pain I felt for the first time  Everything is
好きな  もの  と  向き 合う   こと  で
sukina mono to muki-au    koto de
by facing directly with what I like
触れた  まだ    小さな   光
fureta mada chiisana hikari
I was able to touch this small ray of light
大丈夫、   行こう、あと は   楽しむ       だけ  だ
daijyoubu, ikou,    ato  wa tanoshimu dake da
I'm OK Let's go  All I need to do is to enjoy




全て    を   賭けて   描く
subete wo kakete egaku 
Drawing with everything I have
自分  に しか  出せない 色  で
Jibun ni shika dasenai iro de
with the color only I can create
朝   も   夜    も    走り    続け
asa mo yoru mo hashiri tsuzuke
Running morning and night
見つけ    出した  青い 光
mitsuke-dashita aoi hikari
Blue light I finally found
好きな もの   と  向き 合う こと
sukina mono to muki-au koto
Facing to what I like
今   だって 怖い   こと  だけど
ima datte kowai koto dakedo
is still a scary thing to do, but
もう  今  は  あの 日 の  透明      な 僕    じゃない
mou ima wa ano hi no toumei na boku jyanai
I'm not transparent like myself on that day
あり の まま    の
ari   no mama no
Being just myself
かけがえ   の  無い 僕   だ
kakegae   no nai boku da
I am indispensable



知らず   知らず    隠してた
shirazu shirazu kakushiteta
Without realizing I hid it
本当     の   声  を   響かせて  よ、ほら
hontou no koe wo hibikasete yo hora
Let me hear your true voice, say
見ない フリ して  いて も
minai  furi   shite ite mo
Even though we try not to look at it
確かに      そこ に  今 も   そこ に ある よ
tashikani soko ni ima mo soko ni aru yo
It's there for sure  It is still there 


知らず   知らず    隠してた
shirazu shirazu kakushiteta
Without realizing I hid it
本当     の   声  を   響かせて  よ、ほら
hontou no koe wo hibikasete yo hora
Let me hear your true voice, say
見ない フリ して  いて も
minai  furi   shite ite mo
Even though we try not to look at it
確か     に  そこ に  君   の   中   に
tashika ni soko ni kimi no naka ni
It's there for sure  Inside yourself




Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!

Comments

  1. ありがとう ございます! I am learning Japanese and this helps a lot. Thank you for translating this wonderful song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving your nice comment. I'm happy to know that this blog can be of any help to you. Good luck with your study ! 頑張ってください!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated. Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!