Jpop Recommend #394 Umbrella by SEKAKI NO OWARI

Umbrella

by SEKAKI NO OWARI


Released in June 2020, this song is the band's 13th single.  This song was produced as the theme song for jdrama, "竜の道 二つの顔の復讐者, Ryu no michi, futatsu no kao no fukushuusya".  

It is rainy season now in Japan.  It rains almost every day and I feel gloomy...
This song's sad and dramatic tune and delicate high tone voice matches well with rain and tragic story of the drama.   The melody sounds nostalgic and reminds me of jpop from the 80s. 

When you read the lyrics, you will realize that this song is written from the view of umbrella (especially clear umbrella often seen in Japan).  An umbrella desperately in love tries to protect the one who is in pain and needs a shelter.  But the umbrella also know that when the problem is solved, the person will wish for sunshine and it will be forgotten.     

If you like this band, please try their other songs like:

#89 Moonlight Station by SEKAI NO OWARI
Summer song to pep you up
Recommended to listen on the way to the firework festival

#26 RPG by SEKAI NO OWARI
Pop song that makes you feel energized again
Recommended if you feel down





Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!


Lyrics
Japanese
Japanese pronunciation
English translation

鏡        に  映る      私        は   透明   だった
kagami ni utsuru watashi wa toumei datta
When I see myself in the mirror, I was transparent
分かってた  事    でも   知らない まま    の  方   が  良かった
wakatteta koto demo shiranai mama no hou ga yokatta
I knew it already but it was better to be left unknown



私        は     君   を  濡らす  この    忌々しい     雨   から
watashi wa kimi wo nurasu kono imaimashii ame kara
Such annoying rain to make you wet
君    を   守る       為     の   それ だけ の   傘
kimi wo mamoru tame no sore dake no kasa
I am just an umbrella to protect you from the rain
それ は  自分  で  決めた  ようで   運命    みたい な もの
sore wa jibun de kimeta youde unmei mitai na mono 
Even it seems like my choice, it was almost a destiny
何    も   望んで   は   いけない 傷付く       の が  怖い   から
nani mo nozonde wa ikenai    kizutsuku  no ga kowai kara
I mustn't ask for anything because I'm afraid to get hurt



もう 一度   あの  日 に  戻れた    と  しても
mou ichido ano hi ni modoreta to shitemo
Even if I could go back to that day again
繰り返して    しまう    でしょう 私       は  きっと そう
kurikaeshite shimau deshou   watashi wa kitto sou
I would repeat it   I'm sure I would do so



ああ、この   雨    が  このまま    ずっと 降れば
ah     kono ame ga konomama zutto fureba
Ah, I wonder if it keeps raining like this for ever
願って   は  いけない そんな  事    は 分かってる だけど
negatte wa ikenai     sonna koto wa wakatteru dakedo
I shouldn't have such a wish    I knew that already but 
君    に  降る 雨   が いつ の 日 か 上がって 青空  を   望んだら
kimi ni furu ame ga itsu no hi ka agatte aozora wo nozondara
Someday when rain stops falling on you and you wish for blue sky 
その   時    私        は  きっと
sono toki watashi wa kitto
When that time comes, I will be surely...



もっと 自分   の  事    を  こんな  に 知らな   ければ
motto jibun no koto wo konna ni shirana kereba
If I don't know about myself this much
もう   少し      幸せ       な    未来 も    望めた     の  かな
mou sukoshi shiawase na mirai mo nozometa no kana
I wonder if I could hope for a bit happier future


あの 雪    の 日 私       を  閉じ  空    を 見  上げた
ano yuki no hi watashi wo toji sora wo mi-ageta
On that snowy day, you closed me and looked up the sky
泣いて いる ように  見えた 笑顔 に 私         は  触れられない
naite   iru   youni mieta egao ni watashi wa furerarenai
Your smiling yet crying face on which I couldn't touch



ああ、哀しくて       美しい        思い出  が
ah    kanashikute utsukushii omoide ga
Ah sad yet beautiful memories
走馬灯       の ように 希望 が  ちらついて しまう
soumatou no youni kibou ga chiratsuite shimau
come to me in flashback and I can't stop seeing a blink of hope
この   醜くて        本当     の   気持ち  が    強く     なる   前   に
kono minikukute hontou no kimochi ga tsuyoku naru mae ni 
Before this ugly and true feeling would get any stronger
きっと 吐き気  が する  ほど    眩しい     太陽
kitto   hakike ga suru hodo mabushii taiyou
I'm sure sun too bright to make you vomit would come



私         の  気持ち    は  自由  だ  と 誰か     が 言った
watashi no kimochi wa jiyuu da to dareka ga itta
Someone said that my feeling is free from anything
そんな   事 ない わ 運命    より も  変えられない の
sonna koto nai wa unmei yori mo kaerarenai no
That is not true, it is even harder to change than destiny


ああ、この   雨    が  このまま    ずっと 降れば
ah     kono ame ga konomama zutto fureba
Ah, I wonder if it keeps raining like this for ever
願って   は  いけない そんな  事    は 分かってた はず
negatte wa ikenai     sonna koto wa wakatteta hazu
I shouldn't have such a wish    I should have known that 
君    に  降る 雨   が いつ の 日 か 上がって 青空  を   望んだら
kimi ni furu ame ga itsu no hi ka agatte aozora wo nozondara
Someday when rain stops falling on you and you wish for blue sky 
その   時    私        は  きっと
sono toki watashi wa kitto
When that time comes, I will be surely...



雨     が  静か     に  上がり 傘  立て に  置かれた  傘
ame ga shizuka ni agari kasa-tate ni okareta kasa
When rain stops silently, the umbrella would be left in an umbrella stand
忘れた       事   さえ  忘れられて    しまった ような
wasureta koto sae wasurerarete shimatta youna
as if even the fact was forgotten that it was forgotten







Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!

Comments