Jpop Recommend #488 Momen no handkerchief by Hiromi Ohta

木綿のハンカチーフ Momen no handkerchief

太田 裕美 Hiromi Ohta


Released in December 1975 (almost 50 years ago!), this is one of the best known spring songs in Japan.  It is still popular among all generations and covered by many artists.

The lyrics is written in the form of letter exchange between lovers.  A boy has left the hometown to start to work in the city.  A girl remains in the hometown waiting for the boy to come back.  It has a sad ending but it became very popular because many couple shared the same experience.  Often it is hard to find a job in a rural area so people go to a big city like Tokyo and Osaka to find a job or enter a university.  And as the story tells, it is hard to keep a long-distance relationships.




covered by Ai Hashimoto





Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!


<Lyrics>
Japanese
Japanese pronunciation
English translation

恋人    よ   僕    は    旅    立つ
koibito yo boku wa tabi-datsu
My dear, I will leave 
東         へ と 向う      列車  で
higashi e to mukau ressha de 
on a train heading toward the East
はなやいだ  街      で    君  へ の 贈りもの
hanayaida machi de kimi e no okurimono 
on a bustling town, a gift to you
探す       探す     つもり  だ
sagasu sagasu tsumori da
I will look for, look for it


いいえ あなた   私        は
iie       anata watashi wa 
No dear, I have
欲しい もの    は  ない のよ
hoshii mono wa nai  noyo 
nothing I want
ただ 都会  の    絵の具 に
tada tokai no enogu ni 
I just want you not to be dyed
染まらないで   帰って 染まらないで  帰って
somaranaide kaette somaranaide kaette 
into a color of a city life, not to be dyed into a color of a city life



恋人     よ  半年       が  過ぎ
koibito yo hantoshi ga sugi 
My dear, half a year has passed
逢えない が 泣かないで   くれ
aenai    ga nakanaide kure 
we can't see each other but don't cry
都会  で 流行     の   指輪     を   送る   よ
tokai de hayari no yubiwa wo okuru yo 
a ring that is in fashion around here I'm sending it to you
君    に   君  に  似合う  はず  だ
kimi ni kimi ni  niau     hazu da 
I'm sure it will fit you well



いいえ 星    の  ダイヤ も
iie     hoshi no daiya mo 
No dear, even a star diamond
海   に   眠る      真珠     も
umi ni nemuru shinjyu mo 
or pearls deep in the ocean
きっと あなた の キス ほど
kitto   anata  no kiss hodo 
if compared to your kiss
きらめく   はず ない もの    きらめく  はず  ない もの
kirameku hazu nai mono kirameku hazu nai mono 
Nothing can sparkle brighter than your kiss



恋人     よ いま も   素顔   で
koibito yo ima mo sugao de 
My dear, are you still without any make-up?
口紅         も   つけない  まま   か
kuchibeni mo tsukenai mama ka 
Even without a lipstick?
見間違う       ような スーツ 着た ぼく の
mimachigau youna suits  kita boku no 
I put on suits that will change my look completely
写真       写真     を   見て くれ
shashin shashin wo mite kure 
Please taka a look at my photo



いいえ 草     に ねころぶ
Iie      kusa ni nekorobu 
No dear, lying on the grass
あなた が 好き だった の
anata ga suki datta no
I liked you in that look
でも   木枯し      の   ビル 街
demo kogarashi no biru-gai
But surrounded by buildings with cold winds
からだ  に 気 を つけて    ね   からだ  に 気 を  つけて   ね
karada ni ki wo tsukete ne karada  ni ki wo tsukete ne 
Please take care of yourself  Please take care of yourself 



恋人     よ   君   を  忘れて
koibito yo kimi wo wasurete 
My dear, I started to forget you
変わってく ぼく    を  許して
kawatteku boku wo yurushite
Please forgive me for changing
毎日       愉快   に   過す     街角
mainichi yukai ni sugosu machikado 
Everyday I spend wonderful time in this city
ぼく  は  ぼく   は  帰れない
boku wa boku wa kaerenai
I can't go back, go back


あなた 最後  の   わがまま
anata saigo no wagamama
My dear, my last wish for you
贈りもの     を  ねだる  わ
okurimono wo nedaru wa 
I want a gift from you
ねえ  涙        拭く   木綿    の
Nee namida fuku momen no 
Please, to wipe my tears 
ハンカチーフ   下さい    ハンカチーフ  下さい
handkerchief kudasai handkerchief kudasai 
send me a cotton handkerchief, a cotton handkerchief




Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!

Comments